Holiday eggnog is a nostalgic drink
I was very happy to find the following recipe
made with coconut milk
and would like to share it with you!
6 Egg Yolks
4 Cups Coconut Milk
2 Tbsp Coconut Nectar (or stevia to taste)
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp ground Nutmeg
1 Whole Cinnamon Stick
1. Whisk egg yolks using a stand mixer or hand mixer on high speed until they lighten in color.
2. Slowly mix in coconut nectar.
3. Add vanilla extract, coconut milk, and grated nutmeg and mix well.
4. Add mixture to a medium saucepan and heat on medium low.
5. Add cinnamon stick to mixture and allow to steep. This will enhance the eggnog slightly with some cinnamon flavor.
6. Stir mixture frequently and allow to thicken. You don’t want to rush this process or you’ll end up with scrambled eggnog. Cooking is finished when eggnog coats the back of the spoon.
7. When finished, remove saucepan from heat and allow eggnog to cool.
8. Remove cinnamon stick and refrigerate.
Serve chilled by itself or with the option of an ounce or two of your favorite holiday spirit.
For a more traditional variation of this, you can substitute the coconut milk with heavy cream.
Recipe from: The Primal Palate